Event: Language Instruction Jam
Location: Bryn Mawr College
Date: March 23-24
Attendees: Language Instruction working group and project teams
- CHIANTI: Ample time will be devoted to collaborative workshopping on CHIANTI, the shared teaching resource for college-level language instruction; participants will explore the resources that have been gathered so far (including student and faculty reflection videos on liberal arts language learning), brainstorm on ideas for the emerging platform, and work on building additional content.
- SKILLS DASHBOARD: There will be opportunity for a demonstration and brainstorming on the language skills question bank and dashboard prototype – initially developed for French last year, with future possibilities for other languages.
- DIGITAL TOOLS for LANGUAGE LEARNING: Colleagues across LACOL will be invited share their experiences with digital pedagogies and tools for language instruction. What works best for you and your students in meeting various pedagogical goals? How can we share and learn from each other? The group of Asian language instructors who met up at the Vassar 2017 workshop has been pioneering such exchanges as one model to build on.
- Full agenda coming soon.
For out of town guests:
Bryn Mawr College is located on the “Main Line,” as the locals say — meaning in Philadelphia’s western suburbs, which developed along the Pennsylvania Railroad’s “Main Line” in the 19th century. Although still connected to “Center City” (Philly slang for downtown) by commuter rail, getting around in the Main Line neighborhoods is generally more convenient if you have a car.
If you are not driving to the conference, consider staying in “Center City” and taking advantage of Philadelphia’s many sights and sounds. Philly’s “Center City” is walkable; safe; full of hotels, restaurants, and attractions. It is short commuter rail ride from the Bryn Mawr College (see Getting Here) and the Philadelphia International Airport, eliminating the need for a rental car. For more information on Center City (including a map of major attractions), go to visitphilly.com.
Hotels in Center City (Downtown)
Hotel listings are available through visitphilly.com and major travel booking sites; for greatest convenience to SEPTA, look for a hotel near one of the downtown stations.
Near Jefferson Station (at 11th and Market Streets):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, 237 S. Broad Street, 215-893-1600
- Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, 1100 Arch Street, 215-923-0100
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown Philadelphia, 1305 Walnut Street, 215-735-9300
Near Suburban Station (16th St and JFK Blvd):
- Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, 1 Logan Square, 215-963-1500
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, 117 South 17th Street (at Sansom), 215-563-5006
- Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, 201 N. 17th Street, 215-448-2000
- Sofitel Philadelphia, 120 South 17th Street, 215-569-8300
Hotels on the Main Line
Although physically closer to Bryn Mawr College, Main Line hotels tend to be less convenient to transit and therefore best for those with cars.
- Best Western and the Inn at King of Prussia, 127 South Gulph Road, King of Prussia 610-265-4500
- Comfort Inn Valley Forge, 550 West Dekalb Pike, King of Prussia 610-962-0700
- DoubleTree by Hilton Valley Forge, 301 West Dekalb Pike, King of Prussia 610-337-1200
- Embassy Suites Valley Forge, 888 Chesterbrook Boulevard, Chesterbrook 610-647-6700
- Hampton Inn, 530 West Dekalb Pike, King of Prussia 610-962-8111
- Hyatt Place Philadelphia / King of Prussia, 440 American Avenue, King of Prussia 484-690-3000
- The Radnor Hotel, 591 East Lancaster Avenue, Wayne 1-800-537-3000 (Toll Free); 610-688-5800 (Front Desk)
- Sheraton Valley Forge Hotel, 480 North Gulph Road, King of Prussia 484-238-1800
- Sonesta ES Suites – Malvern, 20 Morehall Road, Malvern 610-296-4343
- Wayne Hotel, 139 East Lancaster Avenue, Wayne 610-687-5000
See the train station, parking, and conference venue locations, below.
Public Transit to Bryn Mawr from Center City
If you are not driving to Philadelphia, you might consider staying in Center City and commuting to Bryn Mawr College via SEPTA’s Paoli/Thorndale rail line (board at Jefferson Station, Suburban Station, or Amtrak 30th St Station). The trip from Center City to Bryn Mawr Station takes about 25 minutes and costs $7 if purchased on the train ($5.75 if purchased from the sales window in the train station). Trains run about every 30 minutes during the day on Saturdays and once per hour in the evenings and on Sundays. Bryn Mawr Station, marked on the map above, is a short walk (<10min) from campus.
When you exit the train from Center City, you’ll be on the correct side of the tracks. Walk straight ahead along Morris Ave. until you reach Yarrow St. The entrance to the college will be in front of you and to the left.
From the Airport
There are several options for reaching the College once you arrive at Philadelphia’s International Airport. Taxis, car services, and rental cars are available at the airport. For driving directions, click here: Driving from the Philadelphia International Airport
Bryn Mawr is also accessible from the airport by public transit. SEPTA Airport High Speed Line stops at every terminal. Take the Airport Line to 30th Street Station in Philadelphia. Catch the Paoli/Thorndale Regional Rail Line to Bryn Mawr as instructed above in the Public Transit from Center City directions. When you get on the train at the airport, tell the conductor that your final destination is Bryn Mawr so you don’t get overcharged when you change trains at 30th Street Station. And hold onto your ticket receipt—you’ll need it to change trains!
Travel time from the airport to Philadelphia: 20-30 minutes; from Philadelphia to the College, approximately 20 minutes.
Parking is available on many lots across campus. The closest parking lot to Canaday Library, our meeting place, is on New Gulph Road; its entrance is between Denbigh and Merion Halls. Use the GPS address: 816 New Gulph Rd, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010.