Based on conversations at the 2018 LACOL Summer Workshop, an active working group has emerged for Data Science, with a special interest in intersections with Environmental Studies as a data-intensive discipline.
Areas of collaboration:
- A webinar series (see below) and study group on data science in the liberal arts.
- Identifying key data science skills and information falling between curricular cracks at LACOL schools and provide existing resources to begin addressing them.
- Developing a repository to share software tutorials, commentary, wrappers, assignments, etc., that help teach students to use important tools.
- Developing a consortium-wide “Intro to Critical Data Collection and Analysis” course.
- Exploring options for managing research data collections from sensors or data generated collaboratively with other researchers; design requirements or existing database solutions for data sharing, and analysis.