Based on conversations at the 2018 LACOL Summer Workshop, a new interest group has emerged for Data Science Education, with a special interest in intersections with Environmental Studies as a data-intensive discipline.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: To join the LACOL Data Science+ Forum (google group), CLICK HERE TO SEND REQUEST. This low-traffic lists is a shared space for intergroup discussions and news about group events and activities.
While plans are still evolving, break-out discussions identified several areas of potential collaboration:
- Webinars (see: http://lacol.net/data-science-nas-report) and study groups
- Identify key data science skills and information falling between curricular cracks at LACOL schools and provide existing resources to begin addressing them.
- Develop a repository to share software tutorials, commentary, wrappers, assignments, etc., that help teach students to use important tools. Be cognizant of appropriate scaffolding for when, where, how to use these materials in different contexts.
- Develop a consortium-wide “Intro to Critical Data Collection and Analysis” course.
- Explore options for managing environmental data collection from sensors or data generated collaboratively with other researchers; design requirements or existing database solutions for data sharing, and analysis.